Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Ruminations on my birthday--Part ll

My friends and relatives treated me royally on my special day.  I didn’t get any of those “over the hill” cards or ones that mentioned Metamucil, sagging boobs, or my memory.  The only card that I received with a “60” on it came from my Aunt Carolyn and Uncle Eugene and actually raised my spirits.  It read, “60 is about feeling excited to be alive at a time when you’re free to really live.  60 is about knowing yourself--and truly liking who you’ve become.  But most of all, 60 is about celebrating the beginning of the most beautiful years of your life.  Enjoy.”  Reading that, who wouldn’t be glad to be 60?

My other cards mentioned growing mellow with good wine, having a day filled with delicious moments, and my being a blessing (okay, that may be a stretch).  Best of all, Jeremiah (my grandson) and his significant other, Betsy, even gave me permission to “Be naughty.”  My Facebook wall was filled with well wishes--all from people very precious to me.  Presents?

I was showered with presents, ones that reflected my interests--from the latest Anne Lamott book, to food given to a church food pantry in my name, to a pair of handmade earrings, to chocolate covered strawberries.  I loved every single thing I received.  Paula asked me what Bob gave me.  It wasn’t jewelry or an exotic trip; it was something better.

Bob gave me a girls’ week in Holland with my best friend from H.S., Barbara.  I had not seen her for three years, and I ached to be with her.  Had there been a prize for “Worst 2010,” she would have won it, and I needed to see with my own eyes that she was surviving and healing.

In addition, there is something very special about friends from childhood.  They are usually among the few who knew us when we were young (before we had a career or made families of our own) and who knew our birth families.  As B. Kathleen Fannin says in Reverence and Revelry, “They can reflect to us who we used to be so that we better understand who we have become,” or as George Herbert said, “The best mirror is an old friend.”

Actually Barbara is even more than that.  Her husband has labeled us “identical best friends,” and I think he’s spot on.  Our personalities, strengths, and interests are very similar.

Our time together was delightful as we shared old favorites such as “Steak & Shake” and found some new.  Most mornings we sat in front of our computers, awakening slowly with our first cups of coffee, before we decided whether to have a quiet or adventurous day.  It was a balanced week.  On my birthday, she put a white bow around her neck, and we had a great laugh--one of many.  The end of the week arrived, and it was difficult to part.

This wasn’t the end of my celebration.  There was birthday cake and candles with Lana and Kent when we briefly returned to Savoy, and I’m hoping to share time--and perhaps, wine, chocolate, and cake--with friends and family in the next few months.  Perhaps 60 is a good time to have fellowship with all those one loves.

John O’Donohue in Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom speaks about the autumn time of life being “a time of great gathering…a time for harvesting the fruits of your experiences…gathering lost moments and experiences, bringing them together and holding them as one.”  He suggests that one “come to see aging not as the demise of your body but as the harvest of your soul…”  I wonder what that will look like?  I wonder if this is part of my increased yearning for God?  I wonder if this is part of my need to write?

I hope it will be a good harvest.

No comments:

Post a Comment