Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Mardi Gras

Charlie Rose, artist and New Orleans resident, said it best, “Mardi Gras is the love of life.  It is the harmonic convergence of our food, our music, our creativity, our eccentricity, our neighborhoods, and our joy of living.  All at once.”  New Orleans, I missed it.  No beads, no king cake, no masks.  And what of the Samba Parade at Rio Carnival where the samba schools compete from 9:00 p.m. until sunrise?  No, I didn’t see the painted and glittered bodies singing and dancing until the break of day either.   I didn’t even participate in the early evening parade on nearby Douglas’ main street.  I missed out on revelry all together.

What of the special treats of the day, those that were concocted to use up the sugar, fat and eggs from the larder?  Did I eat pancakes or special fried breads and pastries?  No, and it was a shame because the Dutch bakers are perfecting their skills with paczki, the traditional Polish doughnuts stuffed with various fillings.  So not only did I miss out on the revelry of the day, I missed out on the foods, too.

Plane reservations or a bakery order, it will be one or the other next year.  I’m ready to join in the fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment