Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Have a blessed rest

It happened the first night Amy (Bob's youngest) visited us here in Holland.  She hugged and kissed us goodnight and headed down the hall to bed, but then she stopped.  She turned around and said to me, "You didn't tell me to have 'a blessed rest.'  You always tell me to have 'a blessed rest' before I go to bed." 

My "identical best friend" (a description given to us by her husband) from high school is the one who first said it to me.  I really loved it.  I felt especially covered by God's love.  I began telling it to others who visited, including Amy, hoping that they would feel the peace that it gave me. 

I had no idea that it had become a bedtime ritual between Amy and me, but upon hearing her lament, my heart was warmed.  It was the sign of another family connection between us, step-mother and step-daughter.  I hope the blessing is something she will share with others, and I hope she thinks of me each time in the same loving way I think of Barbara.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment