Sunday, July 8, 2012

Sunday Service


After the sermon, we recited A Statement of Faith:

We welcome that where people are gathered together in love
God is present and good things happen and life is full.

We celebrate that we are immersed in mystery that our lives are more than
they seem, that we belong to each other and to a universe of great creative
energies, whose source and destiny is God.

We celebrate that the spirit of God beat in the heart of Jesus of Nazareth
and God’s good news was heard by the broken and wounded.  We are glad
that the spirit of peace is present with us, the church, as we gather to celebrate
our common existence, and the fidelity of God.

And most deeply we believe that in our struggle to love, we incarnate God in
the world.  And so aware of mystery and wonder, caught in friendship
laughter, we become speechless before the joy in our hearts as we celebrate
the sacredness of life.


We have been searching for a church since we began spending time in Holland.  Locally we tried The Beechwood Church, a Reformed Church of America (almost every church in Holland is a “reformed” church).  From Father’s Day until Labor Day people are encouraged to bring their camp chairs, dress casually, and share in an outdoor contemporary 10:00 A.M. service.  Sometimes one thousand people congregate, including many campers enjoying Holland State Park.  The warm homemade donuts and snow cones that are available after the service are a great draw.  However, we were concerned about some comments made about Muslims during two sermons and decided to search again.

I attended a Writing the Psalms workshop at the Douglas Congregational United Church of Christ in Douglas, MI (about 5 miles/20 minutes from our condo) and found their minister and the mission intriguing.  Today was the second time we have worshiped there, and we were told that our permanent name tags will be awaiting us next Sunday.

The written mission of the church is one I can support with my Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) membership:

To grow together spiritually
     as progressive Christians, welcoming all;
          pursuing peace, justice, love
               and healing for all creation.


It turns out that the young minister I met has left the church, and an interim, Rev. Kathryn Davelaar, has been installed.  She and the rest of the congregation have been very welcoming to us.  The service is mostly traditional, not my favorite, but I appreciate having communion again each Sunday.  I went forward and the minister offered me the bread saying, “Beth, the body of Christ,” and then I proceeded to my left to the person who stood with a cup of wine.  He said, “Beth, the blood of Christ,” and I dipped my bread and then took it.  Had I walked to the right of the minister, I could have drunk an individual cup of grape juice.

After communion, the congregation made a circle around the pews, held hands, and prayed the Lord’s Prayer together.  It started, “Our Mother/Father, always and everywhere, hallowed be thy name…”.  This is the usual routine.

Probably the most unusual thing about the church is that we are in the minority because we are a heterosexual couple.  It is the second time in my life that I have been in a situation where I am in the minority, and, once again, I think that I have an opportunity to grow from the experience.  There are a few other heterosexual couples, and there will be a new one after their wedding next Saturday, but most of the congregation is composed of gay men.  Some are in partnerships.  Some are not, or their partners don’t attend church with them.  There are some lesbians but not many.  I feel very comfortable.

Sometimes we are hugged during the “passing of the peace.”  Room is made for us in the circle for the Lord’s Prayer.  We were even invited to the potluck after church.  And, now, we’ll have name tags.  I appreciate all they have done to make us feel included and accepted.  They are showing us hospitality.  I look forward to worshiping as part of this congregation next Sunday.  Amen.

1 comment:

  1. How wonderful that you feel welcomed. I am still searching. Glad you feel comfortable.

    ReplyDelete