Sunday, September 2, 2012

This is the day the LORD has made


For a week I have been witness to the first colors of fall, the red and gold especially catching my eyes.  Hurricane Isaac has only brought a little wind and some light evening rain to Holland.  Since all of Michigan has been declared a natural disaster area due to this year’s heat and drought, we were hoping for a bigger impact.

The first of the 15 boats that dock at our pier has been taken out for cleaning and winter storage.  With temperatures that are sometimes still peaking in the high 80s, it seems too soon to plan for the cold.  (I guess I wouldn’t make a good squirrel!)

The other day instead of having my first cup of coffee in bed, I sat on the balcony in the quiet and watched the stillness of the water.  As flocks of birds flew close to the lake, their numbers doubled with the mirror-like reflection.  “This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it,” (Psalm 118:24) I recited as I was felt filled by nature’s beauty.  No sooner were the words out of my mouth than a hummingbird appeared not more than 6 feet in front of me and paused facing me.  I must have passed inspection as then he turned and fed from the blossoms of the pink fuchsia.  I could even see his beak parted, drinking the nectar.

the LORD has done this, and it is marvelous in our eyes
. - Psalm 118:23    

No comments:

Post a Comment