Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bob's voice: The day after transplant

I have been given a mulligan on the golf course of life!
 
The days before my transplant, almost every staff member asked me how I felt about the transplant. That was a good open-ended question for history taking, but it became tiresome. About 2:00AM on the day of transplant, David, my very serious night nurse, came in for his usual nursing duties and asked me the same question again. So I decided to shake him up. I told him that I had been lying in bed ruminating over being given someone else’s stem cells and thereafter becoming a really good person. He did not know I was pulling his chain and went into chapter and verse about how that mistake can never occur.
 
I prayed in the morning that God would be with me – the 23rd rather than the 22nd Psalm. While I was finishing my morning shower and drying off my hair and face with a towel (so that I could not see anything), I heard the automatic paper towel dispenser in the bathroom cranking out paper. I thought the nurse might have come in, so I wrapped the shower curtain around me. There was no one there whom I could see and the towel dispenser had been working flawlessly. Coincidence? I think not. I said a little thank you for the very reassuring message.
 
Kathryn, my day nurse, gave me the transplant about noon. For the occasion, she wore a Williams College varsity crew team t-shirt, which she obtained while rowing against Williams. Beth got photographs of this memorable occasion. It was not particularly pleasant. My stem cells were preserved in DMSO and frozen in liquid nitrogen. Kathryn had to thaw them in a hot water bath at my bedside and then promptly give them to me as they deteriorate quickly. The DMSO was the hard part, causing an awfully hot sensation in the upper part of my body and nausea, but this all cleared ten minutes after the final infusion. I had been forewarned that I would be very tired the rest of the day, and I slept almost continuously between 2:00PM and 9:00AM this morning.
 
Last night, Sam was my nurse technician. We visited for a while about midnight. He is a very nice family man but his other brother was not. His brother was known in the tri-county area by law enforcement and civilians as “Gangsta.” He died a disgraceful death at age 53. Sam loved him dearly, but there was no changing Gangsta. What an inspirational story!  [Note to stem cells: don’t turn me into Gangsta.]

No comments:

Post a Comment